There are multiple types of web hosting services which are available in the market today, each of them are well preferred by their specific customer niches, depends on their specific requirements and needs. Come let us find out some of the common web hosting services,
1. Dial up Access Hosting – this is the most basic type of hosting and access service that anyone would ever had when web hosting service was introduced.
2. Shared hosting – also refers to as virtual hosting or mass hosting. This is a type of web hosting where you get to share the server with others who also sign up for the same web host. The infrastructure and server are managed and owned by the web host.
a. This type of web hosting is cheaper and on average a popular choice for many web users because it is affordable and user friendly for most people to find it useful. They are cheaper because the overhead costs are widely shared out by the many users who had signed up with the web hosting provider.
b. However here are some of its drawbacks, where the security level is pretty low for a virtual hosting because you are sharing the server with someone else, while the software and database support provided by this type of web hosting is low as well.
3. Dedicated Hosting – where you are allowed to get an entire server for your own self and you are in control of all the resources and in charges of all the available websites. In this case, you or the web hosting provider can own the hardware and the server. In this type of hosting, the web hosting provider does not really own anything except to provide the hosting services and take care of the hosting operation. Everything else will be the customer’s liability.
a. Dedicated Hosting has a lot of benefits of course such as high reliability, high quality customer service and fast speed data connectivity, great in operating CPU intensive jobs or applications, seldom downtime of server, ample memory and bandwidth allocated.
b. This hosting plan is suitable for large companies with heavy online traffic, highly confidential industry which need a dedicated website for itself, which is suitable to share the same server with anyone else.
4. Reseller Hosting – where you may sign up for your web hosting services from a web host, and then you get to resell them under your own specific different brand. This type of hosting is suitable for those who wanted to try out their hosting experiences.
5. Root Server Hosting – this is also being called as semi-managed hosting. This is similar to dedicated hosting but additionally you get to control your server by accessing the root of the server itself. There are many benefits cited for this type of web hosting, such as a longer uninterrupted Internet connectivity and higher level of flexibility. It is very versatile, and suitable for those who need great flexibility to enable customization.
6. Collocated Hosting – where the web hosting provider allow you to place your server at its premises. Most of the time this type of collocated hosting took place because the web host had a better place which is designed to store server. The goodness of this hosting is as such; high bandwidth and security, and the downtime of the server is close to zero with great reliability. On the other band, surely this type of hosting will be more expensive, for it requires special skill sets for configuration and debug purpose.
The above six types of web hosting are some of the common ones, there are many more different choices which one can find from the Internet with different services, options and benefits. Compare them thoroughly by table out their pro and cons. The right type of hosting service for you would be one which are affordable, but yet are equipped with necessary features and options to facilitate and enhance their clients’ online needs.