If you are a search engine optimizer or SEO specialist, then PageRank is no stranger. The term refers to an algorithm developed for the web that Google uses to rank various websites when it fetches search results for users. PageRank is named after Larry Page. Interestingly, the algorithm itself is patented by Stanford University and not Google. However, Google has exclusive patent rights from Stanford University.
A website achieving a higher PageRank [example PageRank 6] increases its chances of user traffic since Google will consider its results more important and relevant than other websites with lower PageRank. Consequently, the website may feature more in search results translating to higher revenues for the site.
The PageRank process is dynamic with Google bots regularly scouring the net and updating PageRank for websites. However, PageRank is only one of many other parameters that Google uses to rate the relevance of websites. Despite this fact, PageRank continues to be a crucial parameter in rating websites and assessing user traffic.
If you have identified your keywords and optimized them for your website and search engines, the next step is to focus on enhancing your Google PageRank along side link popularity. Here are a few approaches that assist in improving your Google PR to higher levels of 6 and above.
1. Develop unusual and unique content that interests people to link your website to theirs without you even needing to go on a marketing pitch.
2. Put some effort into building effective backlinks, especially if your website is new so that users can locate your website.
3. Strategize textual content through articles written on topics that are similar to your website content and distribute them to different article directories. Include web links to your website to increase link popularity and PageRank optimization.
4. Utilize link directories effectively by submitting your website URL with description to them. There are numerous directories, several of them free, that you can use for this purpose.
5. Post to hundreds of forums on the web that allow you to include a signature web link of your website. A note of caution – follow rules of forums and don’t spam else your posts are likely to be deleted.
6. Reciprocate links with web masters. Essentially, you scratch my back and I will scratch yours. You post the links of the other web master in return for the same favor. Three way linking is even better and improves links popularity and Google PR.
7. Comment appropriately on the websites and blogs of others. Most websites and blogs allow you to backlink by leaving a url of your website.
8. Draw the power of social bookmarking sites such as StumbleUpon and Technorati as effective alternatives to search engines. You can also create backlinks on such websites by bookmarking your website on them.
There are many more best practices available that SEO specialists use to enhance Google PR. However, the above tips should help you get started quickly and effectively.